Monday, August 17, 2015

Make-A-List Monday - Best Laid Plans Seldom Work Out...

Hi, all!

Monday has rolled around again, and caught me completely off guard!  Last week was hectic, and it seems like I should have gotten more done, but it is what it is - so let's see how last week's list went....

1.  Tack down the photo blocks on the commission memory quilt.
Not done, but I have made a template and plan to start working on this tonight.  If I don't finish it by Thursday morning, I'll take it with me to Atlanta and work on it in the car while we drive!

2.  Piece the signature quilt.
Done!  Here's a pic of what the top looks like...


3.  Piece the back for the signature quilt.
Done!  I love how colorful the back is, in contrast to the front.  Lots of 5" squares and strips of one of my favorite DSQuilts prints.


4.  Work on making racks for the quilt show.
This is still stuck in my head.  I have GOT to get on this one this week!

5.  Create a flyer for the quilt show.
Also still in my head.  Hopefully this is something else I can work on in the car while riding to Atlanta...

6.  Quilt the signature quilt (if time allows).
Done!  I'm glad to have this one off my plate - it was really worrying me that it wouldn't be finished in time!


7.  Work on Nathanael's stocking.
I did get to this one - at least a bit.  It's something I like to pick up in the evening when we're watching tv.


8.  Pick up more of the kids' quilts and sew the labels on them.
I didn't have a chance to get the quilts from my daughter, so this one is still on the list!

9.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that come up.
Done!  We only gave away a few this week, which I guess is good, considering!

This quilt went to a woman in our church who is living with lupus. The beautiful top was donated to us by our wonderful friend, Gayle, who sends us several tops at a time.


This quilt went to a woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer this week.


This quilt is for a new baby girl, the granddaughter of one of our church members!


We also gave another quilt to a woman who was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, but I forgot to take a picture of it! (Boo...)

OK, so I didn't do so well on last week's list - maybe I shouldn't say that there are things I absolutely have to get done again!  This week is a short week for me - my husband and I are going to Atlanta for the premier of the movie War Room on Thursday!  So here's what's on my list for this week...

1.  Tack down the blocks on the photo memory quilt.

2.  Make a flyer for the quilt show.

3.  Finalize a design for the quilt show racks.

4.  Come up with a design for a future (secret for now) project!

5.  Work on Nathanael's stocking.

6.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that come up.

Fortunately, some of this can be done while riding, so I'll be working on this list hard this week!

And now, here's a life lesson/warning for all of us...



My mailman left this box on my porch chair this afternoon.  I have to say, he came up quietly, left it and didn't ring the doorbell.  (New mailman - my old one was great!)  When I went outside to get it a few minutes later, the underside of the box was soaking wet.  It had apparently been dropped in a puddle and allowed to sit there for a while.  I opened the box (with my thumb, rather easily because it was falling apart) and pulled out the contents.  Fortunately, there was a large ziploc bag of blocks in the bottom of the box, which protected most of the contents.  A flimsy on top of that bag was a little damp, but a run through the dryer took care of that problem.

My life lesson/warning?  Always put fabric in a plastic trash bag before you put it in a box you are shipping - you never know when that box is going to meet up with the elements!  I was lucky with this one - I think he just dropped it today.  If it had been dropped in water earlier in its journey, the fabric would probably have been moldy/mildewed and possibly ruined.  And that would have been a tragedy!

So now the question is - - - what are YOU working on this week!

Hugs!

Sarah

PS Be sure to come back by here on Friday - I'm doing a lot of whooping and celebrating, and there just might be a giveaway involved...

6 comments:

  1. We are finally in our house, so this week I'm unpacking. Sewing room will be the last. BoooooWhooooo.
    Love the signature quilt. Either way it's great.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making a messenger bag for a young friend from church to fit on her walker. Right now I'm working up a prototype so Abby can tell me what needs adjusted. Then, we will go purchase really cool fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you get done what you do. Lots of great eye candy again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a really important lesson to learn, I think they train the new delivery people to drop and run. I know our new person is timed and she's been told not to stop and talk, now if she could just get the right packages/mail to the right house.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is quite a list! The signature block quilt looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You may not have made as much progress as you would have liked but you still accomplished a lot. How about that signature quilt?!?!

    Good luck with this week's list and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!