Monday, May 25, 2015

Make-A-List Monday - The Lovely Blog Edition!

Hi, all!

It's Monday again, and the beginning of a different kind of week for me - I'm going to New York City!!  I'm really excited about wandering around the city, and exploring all the fabric shops in the Garment District!  

But before we move on to other things, let's see how last week's list went...

1.  Take pictures of and mail the baby quilt.
Done!  This turned out really cute, and it's on its way to my niece for her baby shower!


2.  Quilt the H2H quilt top.
Also done!  I love the look of this quilt...


3.  Work on the second gift quilt.
Done!  The blocks are finished and the sashings are cut.

4.  Work on the pattern for that quilt.
5.  Work on the pennant quilt tutorial.
6.  Continue the repair of the antique crazy-patch quilt.
7.  Cut more scraps!
And here's where my week fell apart - I ended up working on some other things!  I'll share them below...

8.  Keep up with any quilt ministry needs that arise.
Done!  We had a really busy week at the quilt ministry - and a lot of them for the very best reason - new babies!!!  But first let's check out the illness quilts...


This quilt went to a 15-year old boy who had a serious 4-wheeler accident...


This beautiful quilt went to a woman going through treatment for leukemia.  This whole top was donated to us, ready for quilting, and it is a beauty!


And this great little boy's quilt went to a 5-year old who had surgery for appendicitis and is having some complications.

And now for the babies!!


This one is for a new baby boy...


This one for a new baby girl...




These are for a set of twins, one girl, one boy...


And last but not least, another new baby girl!

It's been prolific week at our church!!  Lots of new faces!

And here's the other things I did last week that took my extra time...


A weighted blanket for Nathanael...


A child's quilt top for Hands2Help...


A lap quilt for Hands2Help...


And a business card holder!

So all in all, a productive week, if not exactly what I was originally planning to work on.  I'm happy!

And since I won't be in town this week to do much sewing, I'm going to use the rest of today's post for something special!  

Last week I received an email from Sandra at Musings of a Menopausal Melon (don't you just love that name?) saying that she had nominated me for A Lovely Blog Award!  Needless to say, I was really touched that she would think of me and can't think of any better way to respond than by fulfilling the requirements and nominating some lovely blogs of my own!

The rules are simple - first, thank the person who nominated you. That's easy!  Sandra, thank you so much for thinking of my blog and nominating me.  I am honored and pleased to be in such good company!

Second is to tell you seven things about myself.  Not so easy, but here goes!

1.  I was born in a very southern state, North Carolina, but raised in Miami, Florida, probably the most northern place south of the Mason Dixon line!    Every summer when I'd go stay at my grandparents' home in NC, it would take a week before anyone there could understand what I was saying - they'd always tell me to "slow down and talk right"!

2.  When I was a kid, my dad taught me to fly small planes.  We always had a plane, sometimes the same one over and over - we owned the same Piper Cub three different times.  My dad always loved to repair them and get them back in the air.

3.  My grandmother taught me to sew when I was eight, and every summer I would make my school clothes for the next year.  But I didn't start quilting until about five years ago.

4.  Up until five years ago, I was a great starter, but a terrible finisher.  I would start projects that would then languish, unfinished, usually until I gave them away.  Needless to say, that has changed!

5.  Also up until five years ago, I didn't really like spending lots of time with women.  Then the quilt ministry got its "accidental start" (you can read more about that here) and it suddenly wasn't a problem any more!

6.  My husband and I were high school sweethearts.  This coming September we will have been together for 41 years!

7.  I love going to the movies!  About the only ones I don't enjoy are horror movies, but I'll take almost anything else!


And now I am supposed to nominate some more folks for A Lovely Blog award!  So many to choose from and truthfully, there's way more that I could choose!  But here are the ones for today...

Kate's Arty Bits Blog - I've been following her forever, and she's so sweet to send our quilt ministry donations occasionally, when her mom is visiting her in the UK!

Vrooman's Quilts - I've also been following Sharon's blog forever!  Or at least since I started blogging.  Sharon is a prolific scrap quilter, and sends us the most beautiful blocks!

I Dew Quilting - Diane is a local girl, so I've had the pleasure of meeting her and seeing her work in person.  She's also an amazing quilter and you must see her gorgeous quilts!!

Crayon Box Quilt Studio - Michele has a wonderful blog, full of lovely eye candy!  She hosts Stunning Stitching Sunday, showing the beautiful quilting she has spied across the internet.  She is also the adoptive mom of two adorable little kids, and has been a source of inspiration and help for our family as my daughter went through the adoption process for Nathanael.

Em's Scrap Bag - I've been following Emily's blog forever, and her pet cause, Happy Chemo, has been one of the Hands2Help charities for the past four years.  I love seeing what wonderful new quilts she has created!!

Love Laugh Quilt - Beth makes the most amazing quilts out of scraps, bits and bobs - you should definitely keep an eye on her blog for great inspiration!

The Way I Sew It - I think that P. and I are really sisters separated at birth - we are both tall, love bright colors and wild prints, and have delightful senses of humor!  P.'s blog is always interesting, frequently funny, and she makes beautiful quilts.  Additionally, she's the reason I watch Downton Abbey!

I hope you'll go check out these blogs - they are some of my favorites but certainly not all.  My life has been so enriched by all the friends I've made blogging - people I may never meet in person, but hope to some day.  And if you're ever in my neck of the woods, I hope you'll let me know so we can get together!!

I'll be back next Monday with a report on the fabric stores in New York City - who knows what I'll come back with!  

Hugs!

Sarah

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the nomination. Life has been so busy so I haven't been blogging (or sewing) much lately. I'm going to try hard to remedy that along with getting the other stuff done too. Have fun in NYC. Too bad I can't run down there and meet up with you. It is only a couple of hours from here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on the nomination and have fun in NYC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun in New York, I bet the fabric is super expensive there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nomination. I've had fun visiting the other blogs. I knew of few but have been introduced to some great new blogs. Have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great nominees... I follow most of them, too. Probably found them on the Whoop Whoop Links.
    Have a wonderful time in NYC... don't spend too much...LOL
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many wonderful quilts. I love Sharon's blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always bowls me over how much you accomplish each week Sarah. I saw that Sandra had nominated you and was looking forward to reading your post. Your seven things are so interesting and also funny. What a wonderful family you grew up in! I love a lot of your nominees too.
    Have a fabulous time in NY City!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, I'm so happy to see that the baby quilt top I donated was finished and went to a good home. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!