Sunday, February 22, 2015

Sweet Sixteen Quilt Along - Summer Days, Drifting Away...

Hi, all!

It's week seven of the Sweet Sixteen Quilt Along!  I am really enjoying this experience and I hope you are too.  If this is your first time to visit the Quilt Along, here's a quick recap of what we've done so far...

The first week we discussed several different ways to make the very versatile 16-patch block.  Then in the following weeks we discovered different ways to use that block in quilts...





A more modern version (it takes fewer 16's, too!)




A classic postage stamp quilt...


And a bright kids' quilt with on-point 16's.

This week I've got something bright and sunny to share with you - a pleasant change from the snowy cold days many of us have been experiencing!


This quilt is made with a combination of 16's and snowball blocks. Now, if you've never made snowball blocks before, here's a great video tutorial, short and sweet, that will show you how.  


My 16's are made with 2.5" squares, and my snowballs are made with 8.5" squares with 2.5" squares for the triangles on the corners.



Some vital statistics for this quilt - it is made using some beautiful hand-dyed fabrics I had been hoarding, paired with a beautiful spring green from Kona.  Twenty-five 16-patch blocks and twenty-four snowball blocks, and a border made of 2.5" squares.  


The backing is my favorite IKEA print with a strip of purple hand-dyed fabric for interest and to stretch it out.  Binding is scrappy hand-dyes.  It measures about 60" square.


Bright colors make me smile!!

*&*&*&*&*&*&*

So there's one more way to use your sixteen patch blocks!  Are you feeling inspired yet?  If you've come up with a cool and unique way to use your 16's I'd love to see it! I hope you'll link up below and show off what you're making.  And just for fun, here's a sneak peek at what's coming up next week - an easy quilt with a new-to-me, fun and surprising block construction method!  


Be sure to check out all the quilt-y inspiration below!

Hugs!

Sarah

6 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    Thank you so much for this tutorial. I often look for something a little different to do when I need a quilt fast, and you've shown us so many variations. I love that you've explored so many ways to showcase a common block, one that everyone can do.

    May I say the Green Snowball is my favorite so far? I love that quilt!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the snowballs add another dimension to the quilt. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pastels and that gorgeous green! Absolutely beautiful!
    Thank you for more inspiration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your quilt - the hand-dyed fabrics with the lime green is great! Another beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely feeling inspired. Thanks for sharing all these great ideas. I just wish I had the time to sew one right now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, this is a great series... I love how versatile all you sweet 16s are! Some very awesome quilts!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!